…with Parsnips, Carrots, Onions & Leek
Ingredients (for 4 people)
• 3 pound leg of lamb off bone, wrapped in netting (in freezer section of commissary)
• 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
• 1-2 parsnips peeled and sliced
• 2-3 onions, peeled and sliced
• 1 leek, washed and sliced
• 1 tablespoon margarine
• ½-1 teaspoon salt
• ½-1 teaspoon ground white pepper
• ½-1 teaspoon sweet paprika
• ½-1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
• 1 teaspoon tomato paste
• ½-1 cup red wine
• 2 cups water
Spice rub for lamb
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic (less if you aren’t a big fan of garlic)
• 1½ teaspoons salt
• 1½ teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoons Herb de Provence
Rub lamb with all spices and let it sit overnight in a sealed container in refridgerator.
Melt margarine in a pan on medium heat. Roast the lamb from all sides, until it has a nice brown color. Add all sliced vegetables. Let them roast in the pan with the meat juices adding flavor to the vegetables. Add tomato paste. Let it roast slightly as well. Add red wine. Let the liquid cook off. Add 2 cups water.
Put vegetables in bottom of roasting pan. Add lamb on top of vegetables. Put in a 300F oven for approximately 3 hours. Every 30 minutes turn the meat over to keep it moist. The meat should be very soft at the end of 3 hours. Take the netting off and slice into ½ inch slices.
Nice side dishes are Pommes Boulangere and Sautéed Green Beans or Ratatouille.
See you next week!
Featured Image Photo Credit: © jabiru / Shutterstock.com