Story and photos by Janice
Homemade playdough is my lifesaver during the winter season, when a kid is home sick or we’re all snowed in or when suffering from cabin fever. This recipe takes under 10 minutes to make, with everday ingredients you can pull out of your pantry. The dough lasts up to 4 months if kept in an airtight container after each use.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups hot water (add in small amounts until playdough texture is just right)
- 1 tbsp imitation vanilla flavor (optional, for a nice scent)
- food coloring (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and cream of tartar.
2. Add food coloring and vanilla flavor to the hot water, then slowly add mixture in increments to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
3. Allow the dough to cool for a few minutes, then knead vigorously until it reaches a soft and smooth consistency.
4. Bring out the cookie cutters, rolling pins and let your kids have molding, rolling sculpting and squishing good time!