Ingredients (for 4 people)
• 1 pound of mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
• 2 onions, medium sized finely diced
• 2 cans of tuna, strained and broken into small pieces
• 8 ounces sour cream
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 1 cup of milk
• 8 ounces cheddar cheese, finely grated
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup frozen peas
• Ground white pepper & salt
• 2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (less than ½ inch thick)
• 5 thyme stalks, washed, strip off leaves
• ¼ of a large bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, crushed slightly
• 1 tablespoon butter
Heat the oven to 300 F for a convection oven or 355 F standard oven.
Stir the sour cream, starch and milk together and set aside.
Heat a pan with oil. Add the mushrooms, roasting them on high heat for 3 minutes. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add sour cream mix. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
Add peas and half of the cheese. Let this simmer for another minute.
In a casserole pan, mix potatoes, tuna and mushroom sauce. Bake for 60 minutes.
As it bakes, mix chips with remaining cheese, and thyme leaves. Add to the casserole when it has baked one hour.
On top of chip mixture add 5-6 small shavings of butter. Put back in oven for 15 minutes.
A nice side dish for this casserole is a green salad or cucumber salad.
This is definitely a modern German’s quick meal. The salt and vinegar chips create a nice combination with the tuna.
See you next week!
If you are interested in setting up a cooking class with Klaus, he can be found on facebook at www.facebook.com/CookingWithKlaus or via email at CookingwithKlaus@web.de.
Featured Image Photo Credit: © Lilyana Vynogradova / Shutterstock.com