cover photo by Igor Normann / shutterstock.com
Halloween is a fun time for the whole family, including the dogs, as long as you take certain precautions. Halloween for dogs could potentially be a very stressful and unpleasant time for them.
One of our all-time favourite Halloween treats – chocolate – is considered poisonous to dogs. It contains a chemical, methylxanthine, which is very toxic for them. The darker the chocolate the higher the concentration. Candy may be artificially sweetened with xylitol which is also highly toxic. Even ordinary high sugar, high fat candy in large amounts can be bad and in certain cases could lead to pancreatitis. Party snacks can be too salty, or may contain other ingredients too risky for your dog’s health.
One of the most dangerous aspects of candy could be the wrappers! Dogs don’t bother unwrapping the candy before gobbling down as much as they can, and ingested cellophane or foil wrappers could cause a life-threatening blockage.
Some people will prefer to have healthy snacks and treats. These can also be extremely poisonous to dogs! Raisins and grapes should be treated with the same caution as chocolate when it comes to pets. It’s possible that even small amounts can cause kidney failure in certain cases.
If you’re not sure you can keep your dog away from all these tempting treats rather confine him to a safe part of the house away from the festivities. And make sure you have some doggie treats on hand for him – but don’t over treat!
Try to keep all those fun and scary decorations away from where they can be easily chewed or bumped over. Candles can burn inquisitive noses or cause a fire if knocked over. Power cables could trip up your dog or lead to electrical shock and injuries if chewed.
I have to admit that I’m not a big fan of dressing up dogs! But I know a lot of people are, and many dogs also seem to enjoy all the attention they get when dressed up. It’s a great time to let your imagination run wild in designing something cute and clever but do make sure it doesn’t stress your dog and that they are safe and comfortable in it.
If the costume is too tight it could cut off circulation, restrict breathing or vision, or cause sores and irritation. If too loose, it could get caught on something or trip up the dog. The dog could also tear of bits of the costume and ingest them leading to risks of intestinal blockages, chocking or stomach irritation.
It’s best to never leave your dog alone when dressed up in a costume.
Even sociable friendly dogs used to visitors may find all the doorbell ringing and lots of strangers stressful, or become overexcited. Some dogs may also be frightened of people they know if they are in costumes and look very different. It might be best to keep him away from the door.
Halloween for dogs could be just as much fun for them as Halloween for you! Keep your furry friends safe this Halloween season. Dogs who usually spend most of their time outside should be kept inside. Unfortunately there are some people who will take tricks to extreme and cruel lengths with your pet possibly being the victim. Also make sure your pet has ID on him. And if you suspect any injury or poisoning has occurred, get him to your vet as soon as possible.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
These tips were submitted by: www.happyhealthydogblog.com