Mainz Christmas Market
November 28 - December 23
The historic Christmas Market around the Marktplatz (Market Square) of Mainz takes place from November 28 to December 23. Enjoy “gebrannte mandeln” (roasted almonds) and Glühwein (mulled wine) next to the thousand year old St. Martin’s Cathedral.
Stroll through the alleys with decorated stands and find traditional Christmas handicrafts and other small presents. Special highlights are the life-size nativity at the Cathedral and the eleven meters high Christmas pyramid, both made of wood.
Fairground rides for children are available.
Monday to Friday 11.00 a.m. – 8.30 p.m.
Saturday 11.00 a.m. – 9.00 p.m.
Sunday 11.00 a.m.-9.00 p.m.
Tips for taking in the market:
- dress for the weather! Better to have to remove a few layers because you’re warm then to have to leave early because you’re chilly
- Most Christmas markets are standing room only. You get some Gluhwein and wander around the market or stand at a table and chat with friends, so wear comfy shoes!
- Bring cash. There will be ATM’s around the city center, but most of the stalls are cash only and there is plenty to see and buy!
- These markets are very kid-friendly, with hot chocolate, waffles, and Children’s Gluhwein to keep everyone warm and happy!
- Most hot drinks are poured into ceramic mugs, which you will pay a reimbursable fee for. If you want to keep the mugs to remember your visit to the market (they change each year and have the year and city name on them), just take it home with you! If not, drink up and then return your mug to the vendor you purchased it from to get your fee returned (normally from .50 euro to 2 euro)
For more info see www.weihnachtsmarkt-mainz.com.